Back to EncycloWeedia

Pistillate

Pistillate is the plant’s ability to be male or female, but only contains the anatomy for the production of female reproductive cells. Cannabis plants that have only stamens or only pistils are known to be unisexual. Pistillate plants are ones that only contain pistils, with no stamen. It has been said that 30% of plant species in nature are unisexual, whereas the remaining 70% have perfect flowers. Botanists can determine pistillate flowers by the presence of pistils and no stamen.

Pistillate plants are known to be worth more than staminate ones, but staminate ones are still required for breeding purposes. The whole formation of female sex cells in plants is referred to as the gynoecium. Specific to cannabis, the gynoecium is made of pistils, and each of these pistils contains two carpels.

The carpel is known to be a necessary part of the reproductive system of the plant and one of its main functions is to capture pollen and transferring it to the ovule for production of the seed. Three components of the carpel are the stigma, style, and ovary. The stigma is a little sticky peak near the end of each style that will gather and collect all the pollen. The style is a slim narrow stalk that the pollen flows through, and at the base of that stalk is the ovary.

Ovules will be present in the ovary and it is where female sex cells are produced. When the female sex cells in the ovules interact with the pollen, fertilization is said to occur. If a cannabis plant is monoecious or hermaphroditic, they have the ability to fertilize their ovules with their own stamens.

Use of Term

When we grow this next batch of weed, I think the best idea would be to invest more in pistillate cannabis plants as opposed to staminate ones.

Leave your opinion for the editor...We read everything!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *